UNDERSTANDING HAIR LOSS
Understanding Hair Loss in Women Causes
Hair loss in women can begin at any age, even in teenage years. It is a condition that affects 50% of all women worldwide.
Causes of hair loss in women range from genetics, called androgenic alopecia, to stress, thyroid problems, hormonal changes, traction alopecia, prescription medication, nutritional deficiencies, excessive DHT production and over processing of hair with chemicals. We urge women to consult with a physician specialising in hair restoration for evaluation and diagnosis.
Women have between 100,000 and 150,000 hairs on their head. The number of strands normally lost in a day varies, but on average is 100. In order to maintain a normal volume, hair must be replaced at the same rate at which it is lost. The first signs of hair thinning that women will often notice are more hairs than usual left in the hairbrush after brushing or in the basin after shampooing.
Psychological Impact of Hair Loss on Women
Women associate their beauty with shiny, thick, luscious and gorgeous mane. Specially in India – beautiful hair is associated with beauty and hair thinning is almost a taboo. Hair thinning causes deep psychological stress on women. 87% of women report a loss in self confidence due to their hair loss. HairPro India is the first company to bring highly technological advanced science for female restoration to India.
Hair Loss Patterns in Women: Ludwig Classification
Female pattern hair loss is different than that of men. Whereas men lose their hair in isolated areas like the crown and temple, pattern for women can vary. For the most part – women have diffused thinning over the entire scalp with variations in areas of more noticeable thinning towards the back, front, and frontal hairline..
Refer to the Ludwig Scale below to access your hair loss level.
THE PHASES OF THE HAIR GROWTH CYCLE
The hair growth cycle consists of three phases: Growth (Anagen), Resting (Telogen) and Transition (Catagen). The images above illustrate the various states of the cycle. At any given time, 10-20% of your hair is in the Catagen or Telogen phase waiting to be shed and replaced by an active Anagen hair (similar to the way a baby tooth is pushed out by a permanent tooth). HairPro energizes and stimulates hair follicles in the Catagen (transition) and Telogen (resting) phases causing a new Anagen hair to be formed.
Treatment Options for Female Hair Loss
Traditionally, women have had few viable options to reverse the signs of hair loss. The most popular include the following:
- Minoxidil – is a topical pharmaceutical drug that has been prescribed for application twice a day. This is not a very favorable option as it is messy, can cause drying and itching to the scalp and is very localised solutions.
- Finasteride (generic name for hairpro®), which is a treatment option for men, is not approved for use by women as it has been shown to cause birth defects in children.
- Hair transplant surgery While very popular in men, Due to the diffused pattern of female hair loss, Hair transplant is often not an option for women. Even when it is in some case – many women hesitate as it is a full-blown surgical procedure, along with a post operative healing process.
- Vitamins/Nutritional Supplements – Often, women’s hair loss is linked with nutritional deficiencies and hormonal imbalances. Vitamins and protein supplements help treat hairless but is not enough specially when the cause is androgenetic alopecia.
- Low level laser therapy (LLLT) is a sound science that has long been used in various medical fields. It is the most effective solution for hair thinning in women. It works by reversing the miniturizaution of hair and stimulation the hair follicle to product thicker, fuller, stronger hair and regrowing new hair as well. HairPro energizes and stimulates hair follicles in the Catagen (transition) and Telogen (resting) phases causing a new Anagen hair to be formed.
Answer a few questions for HairPro to evaluate if you are a candidate for laser hair therapy?